If you have never tried a Japanese cheesecake you should. They are cross between an angel food cake and a cheesecake. I’d say that they are more angel than cheese. They a light, fluffy and cheesy. I love them. It’s one of my favorite cakes. I topped mine with a simple apricot glaze.
- 5 oz. fine granulated sugar
- 6 egg whites
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 oz. butter
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 3 oz. whole milk
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 oz. cake flour
- 1 oz. cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. Apricot jam + 1 tsp. water
1. Melt cream cheese, butter and milk over a double boiler. Cool the mixture. Fold in the flour, the cornstarch, egg yolks, lemon juice and mix well.
2. Whisk egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy. Add in the sugar and whisk until soft peaks form.
3. Add the cheese mixture to the egg white mixture and mix well. Pour into a 8-inch round cake pan (Lightly grease and line the bottom and sides of the pan with parchment paper).
4. Bake cheesecake in a water bath for 1 hours 10 minutes or until set and golden brown at 325 degrees F.
5. To make the glaze: In a small bowl, heat apricot jam and water in microwave for 30 seconds and spread the jam on top of the cake. When the cake is completely cool, take it out from the pan and refrigerate for a few hours before serving. Cut the cake with a warm knife.
The Little Teochew blog has some great tips and tricks!