I really love the blog norecipes.com. His recipes and flavors are right up my alley. I’ve always been a big fan of Map Tofu for it’s simplicity. As no recipes.com says…it’s like mac & cheese for the Japanese. I always enjoy when my friend Aki makes it and this is the version that I’ve made at home.
Makes 4 servings
- 1/3 cup sake
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp red miso
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon tobanjan (I use a spicy bean paste)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoons cornstarch
for Mapo Tofu
- 1 tbs sesame oil
- 3 scallions, white part minced, green part sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 14 ounce pack of silken tofu, drained and sliced into 1″ cubes
Whisk all the ingredients listed under “for sauce” together in a bowl.
Heat a frying pan or wok over medium high heat and then add the sesame oil. Add the white parts of the scallions, the ginger, and minced garlic. Stir-fry until very fragrant (about 1-2 minutes).
Add the ground pork and stir-fry breaking up the chunks of meat until the pork is cooked. Add the sauce and stir until the sauce has thickened and the alcohol has burned off. Add the tofu and gently stir to coat with the sauce.
Turn down the heat and continue to cook until the tofu has warmed through and the sauce is nice and thick.
Serve the Mapo Tofu with steamed rice.
I made these for our yearly chicken wing fest during the Super Bowl. These were simply delicious and I loved that we didn’t have to fry them. The sauce is yummy and these were gone in a second! Enjoy!
Prepping the Chicken
- 2 lbs Chicken Wings
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Chili Garlic Sauce
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour & 2 tbsp of Curry Powder (curry powder optional)
- Cooking Oil Spray
- Toasted Sesame Seeds for Sprinkling
Garlicky, Ginger, Orange Zest Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 to 3/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 tbsp Finely Minced Garlic
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 Medium Orange Zest
- 1 tbsp Chili Garlic Sauce
- 1 tsp Finely Minced Ginger
- 2 tsp Corn Starch mixed with 1 tbsp of water
1. Prepare a baking sheet by lining with aluminum foil and preheat oven to 400º degrees. Place chicken in a large bowl. Add the black pepper, salt, chile garlic sauce & garlic powder and mix well. Add the cup of flour & curry powder mixture and coat chicken in the same bowl. Coat thoroughly.
2. Place chicken wings on the baking sheet and spray the chicken wings with the cooking oil spray and bake for 30 minutes. Turn chicken over and cook for an additional 20 minutes.
3. In the meantime, make the sauce. Add the rice vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, orange zest, soy sauce & Chili Garlic Sauce in a saucepan and bring to boil a then simmer for a minute. Add the cornstarch mixture and whisk well. Set aside. Once the wings are done, place wings in a large bowl and toss with 1/2 the sauce. Leaving the remaining 1/2 for dipping. Sprinkle some toasted sesame seed on top and serve hot.